Instagram has recently announced on its business blog that it reached the 2 million monthly advertisers mark. The number of monthly Instagram advertisers has doubled in just 6 months – the company announced back in March 2017 that it hit the 1 million monthly advertisers mark.
The Instagram business team states in the blog post that “time spent watching video on Instagram is up more than 80% year over year, while the number of videos produced per day has increased by 4X from last year.”
Moreover, our Social User Acquisition team at yellowHEAD has concluded that the same audiences watched approximately 40% more of the videos advertised on Instagram than on Facebook!
Advertisers are acknowledging the potential and shifting to Instagram ads and sponsored videos in particular. While there are over 15 million business profiles on Instagram, most users follow at least a few and engagement with brands is constantly increasing.
Advertisers on Instagram can now create a few types of sponsored posts:
- Photo Ads – the traditional photo setting, in square or landscape format
- Video Ads – up to 60-second videos, in square or landscape format
- Carousel Ads – a batch of photos and/or videos alternating by swipe
- Stories Ads – sponsored stories appearing beside friends’ stories
In order to get started, you will need to create a FACEBOOK(!) page, then an Instagram business profile. Once those are set up, you can start building your campaign, determining your target audience and ad objective and, finally, creating your ads.
Instagram, like Facebook, lets you target various objectives to enhance advertising reach and conversions
- Location – target your audience based on geographical location (city/state/country)
- Interests – target users who follow certain accounts or click on specific interests
- Custom Audiences – target specific emails or phone numbers you have access to
- Automated Targeting – Instagram will help you target users who will potentially be interested in your ads
- Demographics – target your audience based on demographics, such as age and gender
- Behaviors – target users based on their activities on social media
- Lookalike Audiences – Instagram lets you target users who are similar in their activity to users who already follow you
Don’t forget to analyze your Instagram Insights once your ad is up and running. Insights will include impressions (total number of views), reach (unique number of views), clicks and profile views.
Nowadays, Instagram advertising is the most emerging advertising platform, for both branding and performance. Just make sure you know how to choose the best format (story/video/image) and message to your potential customers, and make it artistic so it will be consistent with the artistic nature of Instagram.
If you have any questions concerning Instagram advertising or sponsored posts, contact us!back to blog